Profile of the School
St. Clare's Primary School is situated in Harold’s Cross on a beautiful landscaped site. It was founded in 1803 and is the oldest Catholic school in the Archdiocese of Dublin. It was originally an orphanage school. The school opened to the general public in 1952 and now caters for boys and girls from Junior Infants to 6th Class. 280 pupils currently attend the school. The staff consists of 22 teachers and 8 SNAs. There are 12 mainstream class teachers. The school has a part-time secretary and full-time caretaker/gardener.
The school is inolved in a number of initiatives:
The school is involved in the Green School project and was awarded the European Green Flag on 25 June 2001 by Minister Eoin Ryan TD. As part of the Green School there are no plastic bags allowed in the school. We have a can bank for drinks cans; a recycling bin for cardboard, waste paper, newspaper and office paper, and a recycling bin for batteries. We also compost our food waste. This is a joint venture by the pupils, staff, parents and BoM of the school. We also have reduced our waste going to landfill by 50%. All the toilet cisterns in the school were fitted with 'Mecon Devices' in September 2002 – a water saving device to save water each time the toilet is flushed. This is in keeping with the ethos of the school – ‘caring for creation and the environment’. This year our Green School theme is Green Home.
German is taught in 5th and 6th classes. We have taught German since 1990 and are involved in the Modern Languages Project since it commenced in 1998. One teacher teaches the subject.
The school has been involved in the Dissolving Boundaries Project since 2002. It is co-ordinated by NUI Maynooth and the University of NI, Coleraine. The aims of this project are to produce educationally valuable work, to promote the use of ICT and encourage cultural awareness. The highlight of the project includes video conferencing, creating a website, communicating and a face to face meeting between the schools. The topic is cross-curricular. In 2002 we were linked with a school in Portadown. 3rd class were involved in this project and the title of the children’s project was “Precious Memories”. This year we are linked with St. Colum’s Primary School in Portstewart. This is now our third year being linked with this school. 4th class are involved in the project this year and met with the children from Portstewart in November.
St. Clare's Camogie Blitz
St. Clare’s Camogie Blitz was established in 1994 to link St. Clare’s Schools North and South. It was established to commemorate the eighth centenary of the Birth of St. Clare. Pupils from St. Clare’s schools in Newry, Keady and Dublin have the opportunity to play in the blitz and have a fun day. Whichever school wins the centenary trophy hosts the blitz the following year. The blitz was held in Cavan in June 2005 and took place in Keady in June 2007.
Paired Reading & Maths
This scheme involves pupils from Junior Infants up to 3rd class. We have a large selection of books. Parents are encouraged to get involved in this project, which is very successful and has improved reading standards in the school. Parents with children in Junior Infants are invited to a talk to familiarise them with the project.
We are introducing Paired Maths into the school this year too. Click here to find out more.
We have an annual anti-bullying week during the last week of January. One of the teaching staff takes responsibility for this and it involves the whole community – parents, pupils, staff and gardaí. A 'Worry Box' enables pupils to leave a note about a concern or a worry, which will be discussed and dealt with. Click here to find out more.